Having worked in the third sector for a number of years, it has intrigued me as to how different organisations and people engage with volunteers. Standards vary, practices are diverse and the poor management of these crucial people often leads to poor retention rates. A few thoughts;
1) Treat them like precious gold – they are usually the most motivated and believe in what you are doing.
2) Treat them as you would a salaried staff member – why drop standards of care, support and management? These folk are precious.
3) Offer good support – they believe in you, do you believe in them?
4) They enhance your work – yet, many organisations see them as an imposition.
5) they will be your greatest ambassadors – they have chosen to work with you, to support you and to enhance your work. Treat them well and they will also tell the world how great you are.